- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.vFPYnxsz.dpuf T.H.E.seniors(shifted - dont post here): Reflections of a first-time volunteer

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Reflections of a first-time volunteer

(naggy long-winded year 4 student alert)

Hi, I'm Kai Him and I first volunteered with T.H.E.seniors in Jan 2012 at the visit to botanical gardens. It was just a once off event but i thoroughly enjoyed myself that day, with the exteremely adorable group of aunties and uncles that I interacted with that day. I especially loved one or two of the most passionate aunties that really made my day, I felt a connection there as though I was her grandson or something. Just when i was supposed to be the one to make their day, they made mine. Perhaps this is the way that it should be, isn't it? I couldnt bear to leave them at the end of the day and seeing some of the photos we took that day on fb, I really missed them.

Then I thought, I want to see them again! or have a chance to interact with other elderly as well. Thus, I came to the orientation visit session on 29 september when jocelyn invited me. And that was my first day. Later on jocelyn sent me an sms for me to reflect upon some issues and I felt it was a brilliant idea. That led me to many other insights and I would like to just share a little with you all now.

I said that day, of my first visit:

"I don't really feel very accomplished but I was very happy to feel the positive energy from the volunteers and also how some of the older volunteers were able to click with the elderly better. I guess it takes time to get used to interacting with a different generation all together. I think I can be influenced easily by this kinda energy and enthusiasm so I was glad to be around today.

It was a good experience overall. I was with mdm tan and mr tay, who were living in very good conditions actually (than I expected and I was happy to see that). esp for mr tay who couldnt see but managed to keep his place so tidy and clean!! it was a bit sad to hear some of their problems, with health, kids, money etc. I used to think that people who can help should help those most deeply in need of help, donate money, take care of them etc. but recently I have had new thoughts, that I'm glad to see people helping out the other ppl who are not the least priviledged but still have their own problems because I believe we can make a difference to them too. like how mr tay was saying he is tight on budgets but I feel that giving him company is no less or even more impt than helping him with his cash problems. they were like very thankful for us as well, but its sad that I didnt deserve much of that because I didnt help much at all. and I wished I could be of greater help.

I tried the coffee + butter that mr tay drinks everytime! he wants three slices but I tried with one only. haha I could not really appreciate the diff between that and normal kopi but it was quite memorable, never knew such a thing existed.

Both elderly speaks only hokkien and I had difficulty, because I couldnt understand. probably catch only 10-20% sigh. maybe it will be better for me to visit a cantonese speaking elderly instead! so the language barrier was very big and I couldnt really listen and reply. many times I feel so handicapped cos I have much to say or ask or wanna hear but I cant do so. had to rely on the two older volunteers who spoke hokkien.

Overall I am very happy to meet new people, be it elderly or volunteers, who had a positive vibe and energy that I felt strongly today. "


No comments:

Post a Comment